The Disenchanter is a deceptively simple device for recovering enchantments from items. Use it by itself, and the first enchantment will be returned and the item destroyed. Use one of the Catalysts however and you will get a different set of enchantments back. Some of them will even preserve the item in the process!
To use the Disenchanter, craft one, place it down and right-click to open its interface. In the leftmost slot you can put the item you want to be disenchanted. The rightmost slot takes books onto which the enchantments are transferred. The center slot is for the Catalysts, which are outlined in the following section. As mentioned above, you can also the Disenchanter without having anything in that slot.
- Amethyst Shard: Recovers the first enchantment and preserves the item
- Diamond: Recovers two random enchantments and the first one
- Emerald: Recovers two random enchantments
- Ender Pearl: Recovers one random enchantment. Here, the item is also preserved but will take 500 durability damage
- Experience Bottle: Recovers all enchantments that are at the same level as the highest one present
- Heart Of The Sea: Recovers all enchantments but reduces them by one level
- Nether Star: Recovers all enchantments and preserves the item