Sidekick is a complete overhaul of the Creative inventory, and a large collection of useful superpowers to make creative building a breeze.
Starting as Not Enough Creativity, my first major 1.16+ mod inspired by Not Enough Items' Creative+ mode, Sidekick has been entirely rewritten for better mod compatibility, a smoother experience, and a well-designed protocol intended to be implementable by other mods and even plugins.
The Creative+ inventory uses Survival inventory code rather than Creative, meaning it is mostly server-side and isn't prone to the jank and desync that the vanilla Creative inventory has. Additionally, you get access to the 2x2 crafting grid — useful for dyeing items and the like.
All of the vanilla creative tabs are still available within the Creative+ inventory, but they are tucked away to a background tab panel for an inventory-focused workflow, and have a fairly different UX to the vanilla system — intended for quicker access and being slightly better about large amounts of Creative tabs.
Above the inventory, a collection of toggleable Powers can be found, which are:
- No Item Pickup - Disable pickup of stray items on the ground, to keep your inventory clear.
- Instant Kill - Greatly increase your punch damage to get rid of pesky mobs without carrying a sword around.
- Enable Health - Enable damage and show your health bar. You still can't die, except by the usual things that kill Creative players.
- No Break Delay - Disable the Creative break delay, to break blocks like a gold pick through netherrack.
- Full Bright - Ignore lighting, making everything appear fully lit. Does not change the fog.
- Phase - Freely pass through blocks like a Spectator.
- Long Reach - Increase your reach from 4-ish blocks to 12 blocks.
- Free Flight - Fly like old Classic mods, rather than the momentum-based vanilla system. Select full-3D or plane-lock in Options.
- Super Speed - Quadruples your flight speed.
Additionally, Sidekick offers a few configurable options that apply globally rather than per-world:
- Plane Lock - Ignore your vertical facing when moving in Free Flight mode, similar to vanilla flight.
- Pick Swap - Items that are displaced by pickblock are put into the extended inventory for later use, rather than deleted.
- Disable Animations - Disable the transitions and animations, for maximum no-nonsense efficiency.
- UI Sounds - Play audible feedback where vanilla doesn't.
- Creative Tabs - Show the vanilla creative tabs. May be undesirable for an item sidebar workflow.
- Delete Mode - Shift-clicking the Destroy Item button enters Destroy Mode instead of deleting everything. Disable for vanilla behavior.
- Night Owl - Make the Sidekick GUI darker, instead of pure vanilla style.